The village of Otipua was once called Beaconsfield and modelled on the village of the same name in England. The British Prime Minister, Benjamin Disraeli, was knighted Lord Beaconsfield in 1874, the same year Pareora West, the first school on the site was opened. The English primrose was worn by Lord Beaconsfield, in his lapel every day in Westminster. The same flowers grow naturally in the Oak woods near Otipua, and are thus featured in our school’s logo. In 1997 when the schools of Southburn and Otipua West combined, they chose the name of Beaconsfield for the new school.